One of the worst things in life has definitely got to be heartbreak, and hell have I had my fair share of those. Getting over that heartbreak is tough, really tough and could take weeks, months or even years to get over. So, if you’re suffering and need to get over that good for nothing ex of yours then listen up! My tips are here to help you get your life back together, and start moving on!
- CUT THEM OFF – as hard as this may be, this is going to be the most important starting point. Stop the contact with them, don’t text or call them in hope that they’ve changed their minds. If they are texting/calling you, ask them to give you some space for a while. If it comes to it, yeah – delete their number so you aren’t tempted to just give them one last ‘I miss you’ text, because it’s not going to help you or the situation anymore.
- DON’T STALK THEM ON SOCIAL MEDIA – we are all guilty of this at some point in our lives, ‘I’ll just have a quick look and see what they’re up to’ NO, stop right there. You aren’t gaining anything from seeing him with his new girlfriend, happy and smiling away with a #happycouple under the picture – you don’t need to see that! You are toururing yourself and you will make yourself more unhappy. If the temptation is there, or you still have them as a friend on Facebook (which isn’t advised) block them – on everything, just in case. It sounds extreme and a little bit crazy but it works. Out of sight, out of mind.
- DON’T GO CHASING – you remember his favourite bar right? Where him and his friends always hang out on a weekend? Good – don’t go there. Or anywhere near there. Find a new place for you and your friends to go. Don’t put yourself in situations where you know he will be there. Maybe when you’re ready and you’ve moved on, then go for it, but in this rooky stage, it’s not advised. You’ll probably end up having a few too many and saying something you’ll regret.
- DO NOT REBOUND – getting with someone else to try and get over your ex, doesn’t work. Don’t do it, it’s not fair on this new guy or yourself. Jumping into bed with someone new straight away won’t make your feelings for your ex disappear – in fact, it could make you think about him more. The only time you should start speaking to someone new is when you are ready and over your ex. It sounds very responsible and grown up of me (and I sound like my mum) but being with someone else to mask your loneliness and need for cuddles at 2am isn’t the way to go.
- TAKE UP A NEW HOBBY – long time ago now but when me and my ex broke up, I watched the entire box set of Friends in my spare time. Yeah I probably could have joined the gym or started yoga but I was happy sitting alone in my bedroom with a tub of Ben and Jerrys watching Friends. If you can, take up something productive as your hobby, something you’ve always wanted to do but never had the time. Maybe do a bit of D.I.Y and decorate your room a little, something that will make you feel better, and takes your mind off the break up. Spending time with your friends helps, just try not to surround yourself with those people that are still connected with your ex so that you can get all the gossip out of them, I know your game.
- BE MATURE- try to be positive about the situation, think of it as ‘it just wasn’t meant to be’ or ‘someone better is waiting for me’ it’s so hard to think like that at first when your self-esteem has just been shattered before your eyes but if you start thinking that way, you’ll soon believe it and someone better will come along. Try and be as grown up as you can about the break up, taking a mature approach will make you feel better about the situation in the long run and you can say ‘at least I was the bigger person’
- DON’T TRY AND GET YOUR STUFF BACK- do you really need that Bobby pin you left at his house? Or that scarf? Obviously if we are talking big things like laptop or your bloody kitten then request that back but if it’s stuff you could live without then don’t bother, it’s just an excuse to see him and get your heart broken all over again. And then in time, maybe he can give you your hair ties and random socks back but for now, stay away.
- TAKE MY ADVICE- Because I didn’t, if I’d of taken any one of these steps I would have gotten over ex’s in no time, obviously these steps are pretty much the complete opposites of what I done!
I hope these tips help you or your friends in some way! Of course, it’s not going to happen over night, but with a little effort you’ll get there! What things have you done to try and get over your ex?